These light and fluffy donuts are so satisfying, you’ll definitely make them again and again (as we have)! Refreshing, tangy, sweet and baked (not fried): we can’t find any other words to explain how perfect this recipe is!
Makes approximately 42 mini donuts (or 14 regular sized donuts)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- donut pan
- Glaze: 1 cup icing sugar, 1 tsp poppy seeds, 1 tbsp lemon zest, 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine and whisk flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Whisk and set aside for a few minutes.
- Pour in the almond milk + apple cider vinegar mixture into the bowl of combined dry ingredients.
- Add in the vegan butter, fresh lemon juice, vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. Add the lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Fill each donut mould (with batter) halfway.
- Bake for 10 minutes (or until toothpick inserted [in the donut] comes out clean).
- Place the donuts on a cooling rack and let them cool down for about 10-15 minutes.
- Now time for the glaze! In a medium-sized bowl, combine and mix thoroughly icing sugar, poppy seeds, lemon zest, and fresh lemon juice.
- Dip the top of each donut into icing glaze and place them on wax paper for the glaze to set. Allow the glaze to set at room temperature for about 5-10 minutes (if you can wait!!). You can also store the donuts in an airtight container.
Wonderfully light and refreshing, these baked donuts are full of delicious citrus flavor!