With the most comforting texture and rich taste, this classic nutty spread is both satisfying and versatile.
This recipe is also quick and easy to prepare!
- 1.5 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1.5 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Lay out a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and scatter the raw hazelnuts sparingly. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let the hazelnuts cool (for about 5-10 minutes, until they are cool enough to touch). Tip: do not let the hazelnuts sit for too long or the skins will become tougher to remove.
- Using small handfuls, rub the hazelnuts to remove as much of the skins as possible.
- Use a small paring knife to remove the remaining skins (less skins = less bitterness in the spread).
- In a blender, add the hazelnuts, icing sugar (if you prefer, you may add less sugar and try some taste-tests to see if you want more sweetness), cocoa powder, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and almond milk.
- Blend until smooth.
Pour the spread into an air-tight container (we used small mason jars) and let it thicken in the fridge. Keep chilled.
~*Roasted hazelnuts and velvety chocolate make a sweet symphony when paired together