Grilled Ham and Cheese: a favorite sandwich with a new twist! This savory, irresistible recipe will not disappoint! Fluffy toasted bread with delicious smokey veggie ham and delightful, melted vegan cheese all combined *and*… Waffle-ized!
So simple, cheesy and over-the-top comforting!
Makes 1 large shareable waffle
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 cornstarch egg substitute (1 tbsp cornstarch + 3 tbsp water)
- 4 slices veggie ham (we used Yves Meatless Ham) cut into pieces
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese shreds
- Cut up the bread slices into 1-inch squares.
- In a small bowl, prepare the cornstarch egg substitute.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, toss in the bread pieces, veggie ham, nutritional yeast, butter, and cornstarch egg. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Grease your waffle iron (we used a coconut oil spray). Slowly and carefully, add on the bread mixture. About halfway, top a layer of cheese, and add the rest of the bread mixture. Press it down gently with a flat utensil.
- Close the waffle iron and cook 5-7minutes (varies on each appliance).
- Gently take out the waffle and place it on a plate.
Cheese Sauce topping:
- On a stovetop over medium-heat, combine the almond milk, butter, nutritional yeast, pepper, paprika, salt, and vegan cheese shreds. Stir until melted. Lather it carefully as your waffle topping. Tip: you can make half the cheese sauce recipe for a less-cheesy experience.
Ooey gooey cheesy goodness on the inside and out 😉